Marine Lercier is a French lawyer specialized in European Union law, Public International Law, International Humanitarian and Criminal Law, Transitional Justice and Human Rights.
She completed her Law degree at the University of Rouen, followed by post-graduate Master’s studies at the University of Aix-Marseille, France (Master 1 and Master 2) and then at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (M.A.) before studying Animal Law at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. During her Master in Animal Law and Society, she specialized in Horse Welfare and Equine Law.
She did several internships, including during the Master’s program with the Foundation 30 Millions d'Amis in Paris, a leader in animal protection in France, where she conducted researches on a bill proposal to recognize the legal personhood of animals in France.
She is currently a researcher at ICALP, PhD candidate at the Faculty of Law of the Autonomous University of Barcelona in Global Law and Human Security in the field of Animal Law, Assistant-Editor of the legal review dA: Derecho Animal (Forum of Animal Law Studies) and Assistant Professor in Animal Law and Welfare and in Roman Law, within the framework of a Research Staff in Training (PIF) contract with the Autonomous University of Barcelona until 2021.
Her main interests in Animal Law are the legal personality and fundamental rights of animals, the reform of the legal status of animals, human-animal legal relations such as the work of animals, the protection of horses, the status of animals during human conflicts and the globalization of animal law.
Her publications include:
- Legal Protection of Animals in Israel, publicado en dA: Derecho Animal (Forum of Animal Law Studies) Vol. 8, Núm. 4 (2017)
- Abriendo el camino a la Personalidad Jurídica de 30 millones de amigos, escrito con G. Chalkia, publicado en dA: Derecho Animal (Forum of Animal Law Studies) Vol. 8, Núm. 4 (2017).
- Embrace a diversity of ideas, escrito con A. Genet y S. Peutrill por la Ceremonia de Clausura de la 6a edición del Master en Derecho Animal y Sociedad (presencial), publicado en dA: derecho Animal web center.
- Chronicles on the ‘Animal Debates’ and other events organized or attended by ICALP, such as: Animal Rights Conference 2018, ‘Strengthening the Movement’ organized by FARM in Los Angeles, California, from 28th of June till 1st of July 2018;
Ethics Seminar organized by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the UAB;
Steven Wise’s « Sacudiendo la jaula: Hacia los Derechos de los animales» Book Release in Barcelona;
PATRAC: Chronicle on the Spanish government’s Plan of Action for Responsible Ownership of Companion Animals;
Chronicle of the conference 'XII Animal Debates: Sharing the lifetime experience on welfare standards when training pet animals for live performances and the film industry'
Her translations include:
- Legal Personhood of Animals (I): The case for the legal personhood of companion animals. Synthesis of doctrinal developments, written by C. Riot, published in dA: Derecho Animal (Forum of Animal Law Studies) Vol. 9, Núm. 2 (2018).
Her tutorials include:
- The internships of students of the 7th edition of the Master's Degree in Animal Law and Society (onsite) during which a report was written and will be shortly published by ICALP, entitled ‘The impact of livestock farming on the environment, on human health, on global security and on animal welfare’.