In two months time I have to travel to Germany with my cat, is it necessary to have a special document to leave Spain with my cat or is it enough to have his health card?

As of October 2004, to travel with a pet to countries in the EU and third party countries which accept them, it is necessary to have an EU passport for the pet. This has a unique number (ISO code of each country) with the information about the owner, DNI (National Identification Number), address, city of residence and country. It also includes the name, the species, sex, breed, age, the animal’s electronic identification number and the vaccines which the animal has received. These are created in English and in the official language of the EU country in which the document is processed.

(Reglamento (CE) n° 998/2003 desplazamiento animales de compañía)

The passport does not invalidate the health card, but it is rather the equivalent to travel within the EU. Within Spanish national territory, the health card is still perfectly valid.

Veterinary clinics are the organizations authorized to process the passports.

Share with