FaunAcción is a new organisation that is antispeciesist, inclusive, intersectional, professional, proactive and democratic. Its mission is to educate Mexican activists and citizens - through presentations, talks, trainings, workshops - and to share useful tools with activists so they can be empowered in their struggles and be more effective in changing oppressive realities and benefiting nonhuman and human animals. At Minding Animals in Ciudad de México you will be introduced to the ‘El Molcajete’ Food truck education project designed to do educational tours at schools, communities, public spaces, institutions, and will offer a pop up food library, presentations on different important food issues relevant to Mexican citizens, cooking demos/classes, food tasting and the sale of vegan Mexican foods. The El Molcajete project has six objectives:
- To teach students about the importance of preserving and enjoying culturally sound staples and dishes;
- To train teachers and other agents of change on food education curriculum for elementary, secondary and college schools;
- To bring awareness of the impact of food choices on the environment and all the species on this planet;
- To teach students how to cook Mexican dishes using local, cheap and readily available staples;
- To teach students the relationship on health and food choices; and
- To teach students about the ethical implications of their food choices.
FaunAcción has already made progress and inroads in this partnership with the SEP and the printing of our vegan cookbook. With the implementation of this food education project, we seek to solidify our partnership and contribute to the development of the Mexican elementary school curriculum in a very positive way, which will have huge concrete effects for our citizen’s health, the planet, ecosystems, and animals, as well as our Mexican food culture and culinary traditions.